Applied Science Pathway
The BTEC Nationals in Applied Science is intended as a qualification for post-16 learners who want to continue their education through applied learning and who aim to progress to higher education and ultimately to employment, possibly in the applied science sector. This course is for students who are interested in developing a career in science in fields as diverse as forensic science and laboratory work.
BTEC Nationals offer a range of course sizes.
The Extended Diploma consists of 7 mandatory units and 6 optional units and is the equivalent to 3 A levels.
The Diploma covers 6 mandatory units and 2 optional units and is the equivalent of 2 A levels. The Extended Certificate is the equivalent of 1 A level.
At CFBS if you choose Applied Science, you will likely be studying towards the Extended Diploma.
The mandatory units are:
- Principles and Applications of Science I
- Practical Scientific Procedures and Techniques
- Science Investigation Skills
- Laboratory Techniques and their Application
- Principles and Applications of Science II
- Investigative Project
- Contemporary Issues in Science
Edexcel – BTEC Level 3 Extended Diploma in Applied Science