Follow Us

School Life Menu

Houses

There are four houses at Central Foundation. They were originally founded in 1906 by Mr Wagstaff (Headmaster 1903-1917) under the simple names of A, B, C and D, all with their own mottos. In 1926, Headmaster Mr Gibbins decided to name the houses after men who had done the school great service and associate one quarter of the school shield with each house, not including the ermine cross taken from the University of Cambridge coat of arms or the red sword taken from the City of London coat of arms. In 2015, Mr Brownhill decided each house should choose a charity to contribute towards.

Alleyn

“Each For All”

Head of House: Mr Barrie
House Captain: Seven Jacobs

Alleyn House is named after Edward ‘Ned’ Alleyn, an English major Elizabethan actor. He founded Alleyn’s College of God’s Gift in 1619 which was a charity that helped establish nine schools in London, including Central Foundation Boys’ School.  Their crest is the torch of knowledge.

Their chosen charity is Mind and can be donated to by clicking here.

Gassiot

“Better Beats Best”

Head of House: Mr Colver
House Captain: Berkan Marasli

Gassiot House is named after Mr JP Gassiot, who was treasurer to the school during its formative years and used to make good the deficit the school faced each year until Alleyn’s College of God’s Gift provided assured financial support in 1891. Their crest is the lion passant, taken from the Royal coat of arms.

Their chosen charity is ActionAid and can be donated to by clicking here.

Rogers

“Onward”

Head of House: Ms Hughes
House Captain: Ciaran McCann

Rogers House is named after the school’s chief founder Reverend William Rogers, Rector of St Botolph’s in Bishopsgate. Their crest is the book, containing the legend Dominus Illumina Tiomea (The Lord is my light) taken from the University of Oxford coat of arms, itself from Psalm 27.

Their chosen charity is WaterAid and can be donated to by clicking here.

Wormell

“All Together”

Head of House: Mr Tong
House Captain: Younes Taleb

Wormell House is named after Dr Wormell, nicknamed simply ‘The Doctor’, who was Second Master when the school was founded and rose to Headmaster in 1874 and held the post until he retired in 1897. Their crest is the rose en soleil (a Tudor Rose surrounded by sunlight in the fashion of Edward IV of Yorkshire upon ascension to the throne) taken from the University of London coat of arms.

Their chosen charity is Save The Children and can be donated to by clicking here.

Latest News