March 23rd, 2011
As part of our ongoing process of development and to establish a more focused spotlight on our students’ achievements, you will begin to notice changes to our branding. Our new badge is displayed above. We are very proud of Central Foundation’s history and traditions and want to ensure that the strengths of our values, aligned with our vision for the future, are reflected in our school badge. Our school motto, which continues to underpin the ethos of our school – by Hope, by Work, by Faith – has been translated from the Latin.
We have updated our logo to reflect our school vision, whilst retaining Central Foundation’s history and traditional values:
- The large Ermine Cross on a scarlet ground which divides the shield into four parts is from the Coat of Arms of the University of Cambridge.
- The Golden Lion in the first quarter is from the Royal Coat of Arms.
- The second quarter, containing the Open Book with the inscription ‘Dominus Illuminatio Mea’ (God is my light), is from the Coat of Arms of the University of Oxford.
- The third quarter contains a ‘Rose en Soleil’, familiarly known as the Tudor Rose, surrounded by rays, and is from the Arms of the University of London.
- The Flaming Torch in the last quarter is the symbol of learning, whilst the Red Sword, in the centre of the Ermine Cross of Cambridge, is from the Coat of Arms of the City of London.
- The Coat of Arms was designed by Sir Albert Woods, when Garter King of Arms, and was presented to the school by Lord Lingen.
March 20th, 2011
Out students had their first real taste of business in the Year 9 Enterprise Challenge recently. Year 9s had to work in teams and were given a clear brief for their mission. Their first challenge was to form a company and then to work together, building on individual strengths, to deliver a final presentation at the end of the two days on a fully packaged carrot cake. The students’ endeavours were to be judged by a panel from the competitive world of business.
Students set to work diligently on:
- design packaging
- cake production
- website creation
- filming an advert
- creating a business plan
The Year 9 entrepreneurs captured the spirit of the occasion and quickly learnt how to organise, communicate, manage and work as a team in the presentations, students watched nervously as the judges bravely sampled the cakes. A winning presentations was duly selected from each form with the overall winning team being the group who made the most profit from the cakes over the two days.
Overall winner: Bunny Iced Cakes
March 12th, 2011
No sooner had the new Film Club started, then we were celebrating Milo Maris’ (Year 9) success! Milo’s drawing for a national art competition in response to the film ‘Legends of the Guardian’ was shortlisted by the film’s very own director, Zack Snyder.
March 9th, 2011
Central Foundation’s partnership with Capco has recently taken the Year 13 Business students to a whole new level of commercial knowledge. Capco is a global business and technology consultancy dedicated solely to the financial services industry. City of London consultants spent three weeks putting Diploma students through their paces as part of their ‘Careers and Employment’ unit.
Students were invited to prepare a CV and covering letter to apply for the post of Administration Assistant at the firm’s head office, before being offered an interview time.
Filled with trepidation, some students almost turned back on the arrival, intimidated by the shiny corporate foyer. Once across the threshold, however, they managed to field most of the questions and create a good impression, using the skills they had learnt from earlier preparation sessions. We are not sure whether one student’s declaration that his biggest weakness was that he was perfect would have earned him a job offer!
March 4th, 2011
Cooking Club started this term and has proved so popular it even has a waiting list! With a focus on authentic cooking with good, healthy ingredients, Mrs Ekina’s expert cooking tips are shared every Thursday afternoon.